WhatsApp is used by many people around the world. It is a free way to make calls or text while travelling overseas. We suggest that you download this app and become familiar with using it before you travel. When you are ready to get started, here are the steps:
- Search your App or Play store to download this app on your phone. The icon will look like one of these:
- Follow the instructions to set up the app. This will include entering your phone number, entering a code they send you, and entering your name and a picture if you would like.
- During set up, you may have the option to have the app access all your contacts or you can create them manually in the app.
- Note that phone numbers in WhatsApp must have a +1 before the number (for American numbers) or have the international country code for international calls.
- You are now ready to message, voice call, or video call for free anywhere around the world with other WhatsApp users.
- you can also create groups for your team to all stay connected during an event or create a group with the people you meet so that you can stay connected even after you leave.
*Please note: since this is an app, it can only be used when your phone has service or is connected to Wi-Fi. If you are not planning on getting a SIM card for your phone during your travels, you will only be able to make calls when connected to Wi-Fi. If you do choose to get a SIM card so you can use your phone on the local network, you will need to update your number in the app (it will keep all your contacts, and will not affect you calling them - except that you may have to tell them who are you as you will show up as a new number to them). WhatsApp will prompt you to do this when you open it after putting in a new SIM card. Then you can switch it back to your old number when you get back to your home country.